Tuesday, April 15, 2014

have love. will travel.

As you know, music festival season is already in full swing, and I have somehow landed the coolest job ever, and I am able to go to almost any of them. So here's my current first world problem: how do I pick the best festivals with the least amount of overlap? And also, who is going with me?

Beale Street Music Festival (May 2-4)
So, a mediocre line up at best, but it's at home, and I have tons of people I can (and will) go with. It's also inexpensive as far as three-day festivals go. It's a for sure for me, though I will skip out on any day in a heartbeat if there's a home playoff game for the Grizz. 

Artist Highlights: Alabama Shakes, Foster the People, Pretty Lights, Snoop Dogg (Lion?), Juicy J (it's a Memphis thing), Grouplove, Third Eye Blind, Blues Traveler, Fitz and the Tantrums, Wolfmother


Hangout (May 16-18)
This is also a for sure for me. Of all the festival lineups, it's my favorite, because it has the most acts I want to see in one place. Downside to that is that I have many scheduling conflicts, (which can be remedied by going to multiple festivals with overlapping acts). Also, my brother and some of his friends are going, and they're a fun group to hang with, and we all have similar music tastes.

Artist Highlights: The Black Keys, MODEST FREAKING MOUSE, Outkast, Jack Johnson (It IS a beach afterall), Childish Gambino, Avett Brothers, Portugal. The Man, Bastille, Amos Lee, pretty much every other act on the list


NYC Governor's Ball (June 6-8)
This is where I'm trying to find a reason NOT to go. I can get there easily. I know of at least one person going, and potentially a few others. I know the layout and I really like it. My previous worry was that there would be too much overlap, but upon further dissection of the line up, I think I'm good. 

Artist Highlights: Outkast (again), JACK WHITE (!!!), Vampire Weekend, Broken Bells, Sleigh Bells, Childish Gambino (again, but I really don't care; I'll always go see him), Tyler the Creator, Skrillex, The Head and the Heart


Firefly (June 19-22)
So, really I'd rather skip Gov Ball and Lolla to go to this one. It combines the biggest acts I want to see from both, but it's in Dover, DE. So, um, if anyone wants to go to Delaware with me, please let me know, because as easily as I can make friends, I really don't want to go to a music festival solo. Also, this festival is four days, and it could cause a bit of a scheduling conflict. 

Artist Highlights: Foo Fighters, Outkast (good grief), Weezer, Arctic Monkeys, Childish, Cage the Elephant, RAC, Band of Horses, Young the Giant, Beck, Local Natives


Lollapalooza (August 1-3)
I love Chicago, and I've always wanted to go during Lollapalooza. It's also a pretty decent line-up, and I wouldn't be going alone. So, actually I've just decided to go while typing out the acts coming. I apparently only half read the list before. 

Artist Highlights: Kings of Leon, Outkast (FOR REAL), Calvin Harris, Arctic Monkeys, Lorde, Avett Brothers, Spoon, Childsh, Lykke Li, Chvrches, MANCHESTER ORCHESTRA, Iggy Azalea, Glen Hansard 

Okay, to recap, I just need help deciding between Gov Ball and Firefly, but really I think Gov Ball is the clear winner. What do you guys think? And where are you headed this summer? 

Red, white, blues in the skies. Summer's in the air, and baby heaven's in your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment