Sunday, July 22, 2012

Taking Back Sunday Sunday

I never made a scene (well, they came to me).

It's that time again, kids! My trek to work these past few weeks has given me ample time for listening to music, and due to that, I've recently listened to Where You Want to Be from start to finish. I've never listened to one of their albums (minus New Again--yikes) in its entirety and thought, "well that was a let down." It's quite the opposite; I tend to fall in love with them all over again. 

Set Phasers to Stun
We paint our sins on the ceiling, I keep them glued to my chest. It keeps me close like a promise kept

I remember getting this CD back in high school, and I could not get enough of it. I listened to it over and over and over. As a result, the lyrics are ingrained in me. I couldn't forget them if I wanted to, (and  I don't). I guarantee I'll be the 90 year old lady trying to mic swing like Adam from my wheelchair, belting out these songs that helped get me through high school, (I envision being in trouble a lot in this home). I've already posted about them changing my life. That was a for real thing.

Bonus Mosh Pt. 2
(It's love, it's love) I wanted you for nothing more, (make it hurt; I deserve it), than hating you for what you were

There is something about that line that brings a Grinch-style smirk to my lips. 

A Decade Under the Influence
Anyone will do tonight, anyone will do tonight. Close your eyes, just settle, settle

I waited for what seemed like years for that music video to premier, and remember this is "back in the day" when I had no idea how to pirate anything, and I had to actually wait for these things to hear anything new from my favorite bands. 

This Photograph is Proof (I Know You Know)
So we're talking forever, and you almost feel better, but better's no excuse for tonight. You see it's never bad enough to just leave or give up, but it's never good enough to feel right.

New American Classic
See the months they don't matter, it's the days I can't take, when the hours move to minutes and I'm seconds away. 

Such a tragically beautiful song. To my sheer delight, my brother would sometimes play it on his guitar,and I've always imagined walking down the aisle, (if ever), to an instrumental version of it, (SN: Vitamin String Quartet's cover of TBS is phenomenal). 

I Am Fred Astaire
Well, I flipped every switch that I could find on my way out just to upset you more (just to keep you busy), just to make you angry, (just because you were right).

One-Eighty by Summer
Go on just say it; you need me like a bad habit, one that leaves you defenseless, dependent and alone

For a long time, those words were part of the running theme song of my dating life. It seems silly now, but then, I would sing scream them at the top of my lungs, (because if you do that, the person you're screaming them at will hear you and finally understand their idiocy...pause not). Oh, who am I kidding? I still do this

Number Five with a Bullet
It's a long way back south, to where I belong. Well, you've been there once or twice and you still don't like it. I say you just never gave it a chance, (give me a chance, give me a chance).

Little Devotional
I calm the crowd by keeping quiet, move like a shadow up to your mattress. Gentlemen don't ask questions. We could pay attention

I could never truly pick a favorite from this album, but I know that I was constantly going back and forth between this song and the next for such a title. 

...Slowdance on the Inside
Well, cross my heart and hope to...I'm lying just to keep you here

This glass house is burning down. You light the match; I'll stick around

There are so many good lines in that song that I might as well have posted the whole thing. If you've never heard it, you should treat yourself and change that tonight. In fact, you should really just give them all a listen. 

So, at some point a song called Follow the Format was released, and I don't know exactly which album it belongs to, but most references point to Where You Want to Be. Either way, I didn't hear until right before Louder Now came out, but it's my absolute favorite Taking Back Sunday song, without a doubt. 

Make a big scene. Make this glass house my coffin. You missed the big picture, well it's the words that you're coughing out on your sleeve, so forge my sins here in song. I'm telling you now what you've known all along. And it's tired, so true, more subtle than you. There's a lull in the stereo; it's calling for you, (calling for you).

It's not a lie if you believe it; it's no mistake if it's always repeated

That's it. I've decided that I'm relistening to this CD when I run my errands tomorrow. I honestly don't think I could ever get tired of them, especially as each album is so different from the others, but all are equally as good (to me). As always, it depends on my mood, and just how nostalgic I'm feeling as to which album I'm going to focus my energies on. Where You Want to Be and Tell All Your Friends pretty much dictated my life from 2002-2006 (high school), whereas Louder Now trickled over in to college. New Again  actually never happened in my mind, and Taking Back Sunday is still currently being attached to new memories and people, though it does have some faint hints of last summer. 

Well, that's it for this episode of Taking Back Sunday Sunday. 



Tonight won't make a difference

No comments:

Post a Comment