Saturday, July 14, 2012

hummingbird heartbeat

Okay, so I promise I am going to get better at updating, because I know how much you're dying to read this blog bored you are at work.

I've been trying to catch up on all of these summer movies that have come out, but every weekend four more that I want to see premier. Thus far, I've seen Magic Mike, (overrated and a little boring), Moonrise Kingdom, (best Wes Anderson film to date), and Katy Perry: Part of Me. Yeah, yeah, chuckle all you want, but I left that movie with a smile stretched all the way across my face, and have subsequently been listening to Ms. Perry nonstop.

I know that I blog about a lot of bands that aren't the most "mainstream," but I can appreciate good pop music just like the rest of middle America, and Katy Perry is fantastic pop music. Are her lyrics comparable to that of Bright Eyes in terms of poetry and irony and blah, blah, blah? No, but they are real, and they are something so many girls (women?) my age can relate to: giddiness of new love,  memories of old ones, the disintegration of relationships, and then not letting anything break her. It's every emotion I've ever felt. With every song, I can find a situation in my life to which it applies. And I can dance to them in my living room alone for hours. That's what I like to call a win, win, win.

Here are some favorites (sans real life examples):

Lost: Is there a light at the end of the road? I'm pushing everyone away, 'cause I can't feel this anymore.


Not Like the Movies: 'Cause I know you're out there, and you're, you're looking for me, oooh. It's a crazy idea that you were made perfectly for me; you'll see.


Thinking of You: He kissed my lips; I taste your mouth. He pulled me in; I was disgusted with myself.


I'm Still Breathing: So, as I write this letter and shed my last tear, it's all for the better that we end this here. Let's close this chapter, say one last prayer, but don't say that you loved me.

Part of Me: You ripped me off, your love was cheap, was always tearing at the seams. I fell deep, you let me down, but that was then and this is now.

Hummingbird Heartbeat: I see the sun rise in your eyes, your eyes. We've got a future full of blue skies, blue skies.


Wide Awake: I am born again, out of the lion's den, don't need to pretend. And it's too late; this story's over now: the end.


The movie is full of fun performances and adorable fan meet and greets, but also shows the toll that touring for a year had on Katy, most notably her marriage. I nearly broke down in tears at one point. It was so real, her heartbreak, and so familiar. I just wanted to give her a hug and tell her it would all be okay. This would be wasted because she already knows this. And that's why I loved the movie. She continues to have fun and live her life on her terms for her dreams. She has her sad moments, then takes them and learns from them and MOVES ON. It's pretty amazing. If I had to pick one adjective to describe this movie going experience, it would be uplifting.

I will own this movie, and if I have ever have a really bad day, I am going to pop it in, dance around my living room, and turn that day around.



You don't have to feel like a wasted space. You're original, cannot be replaced. If you only knew what the future holds: after a hurricane comes a rainbow.






boom, boom, boom, even brighter than the moon, moon, moon

No comments:

Post a Comment