Friday, June 29, 2012

vasoline, magazines, and tangerines

I got to be a part of history Wednesday night. If you are not aware, yesterday in the late afternoon, the Flaming Lips broke Jay-Z's previous world record for most shows played in multiple cities in 24 hours. They started in Memphis, then headed to Clarksdale, Oxford, Jackson, Hattiesburg, Biloxi, Baton Rouge, and finally New Orleans.

I have only really heard one negative review of this mini-concert marathon, so I'm going to deem it successful (as if I hold any authoritative power in the matter). I tried to watch as much of the live stream on MTV as I could, but things like work and sleep and the like got in the way. I'm sure a DVD will be made, so I'll just catch it all then. What I can deduce from reviews, quips, and streaming is that besides Nola and some kickass fireworks, Memphis really got the best show, mostly because we got two shows. 

I'd seen them perform at BSMF 11, though I missed roughly half of their show because 1) The Grizzlies beat the Spurs to win the series at the same time 2) I mistakingly thought Jason Mraz was going to be entertaining. I had heard of the Flaming Lips and their theatrics before, but was apathetic about them performing, and even more, me missing said performance. When I finally caught the second half of the show, I was in complete awe. Not only did they have so many aesthetics, but they sounded great too. I spent much of that first performance entranced, not believing what I was seeing. 

So, now on Wednesday, I was prepared and past the point of ready to see them live again. I don't purposefully listen to their music at home or in the car or what have you. Don't get me wrong; it's good, but for some reason, I just don't. It's the live aspect that enthralls me. It's so unlike anything I've ever experienced in a concert or show. I just smiled the entire time, (and not the cheesy, obsessed with celebrities smile, but the so content with life and everything is perfect in the world smile), and turns out I was not alone in this. Someone next to me turned and said, "Look at the smiles on every single person's face. What other band can do that? The closest I've ever been to being this happy was when I was on opium one time in college." Over-sharing aside, the boy had a point. Every confetti-covered person was smiling. 


With all your power, what would you do?


We're the enforcers, the sorcerer's orphans, and we know why we fight


They rescued everyone, they lifted up the sun


Look outside, I know that you'll recognize it's summertime


We can't hear them singing, but we can hear it as it flies


Smiles all around


Spoils of war.


It was one of those rare moments where I was fully aware of how amazing this world is, that people and music are still of sound quality. Wayne Coyne is beyond words in the best of ways. He was so kind, sincere, grateful, humble. He was thanking us for being there and supporting them, apologizing that the second set would be short and they'd have to flee quickly. He never had to thank me. It was my pleasure; I wanted to thank him. I hate the idea that other cities may not have gotten to experience the same show. Maybe I'm not critical enough, maybe I'm not a true "fan," but when music moves within in you and not outside of you, that's a beautiful thing, and I just can't find any negativity in that. 

And instead of saying all of your goodbyes, let them know you realize that life goes fast. It's hard to make the good things last. You realize the sun doesn't go down; it's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round.



No comments:

Post a Comment