Friday, November 29, 2013

the stars, they whisper blessings as you walk by

The holidays are in full swing, kids. I've been going and going and going. And I'm exhausted.

So, in the past few weeks, I have developed a profound love for Passenger (Michael David Rosenberg), and honestly, how have I not heard of this guy before? His Flight of the Crow album is my current obsession.

You're just a photo in a drawer, but photographs are not much more than ghosts we can't forget. 

You're just a red rag to a bull. You're just a false hope for a fool, but it's as close as I can get. 

This came out three years ago! I feel like I've missed out on some serious reflection while driving without these songs in my life.

There's a kiss for every tear that rolls down your cheek, and words I shouldn't hear and words you shouldn't speak.

It's kind of like listening to John Mayer, but British. And better. So much better. Yeah, maybe John Mayer was a bad comparison.

Staring at the bottom of your glass, hoping one day you'll make a dream last, but dreams come slow and they go so fast. 

I wonder if my infatuation would be as strong if it were summertime. Something about the cold weather and the holidays makes me crave music that feels like winter, and he feels like winter to me.

I have no clever comment to bridge to the next band I want to talk about in this post, so I'll just say that I'm also currently in love with Trampled by Turtles (again). I don't know how or why I ever managed to walk away from them as cold turkey as I did, but I've found my way back to them, and that's all that matters.

If you haven't heard the song 'Midnight on the Interstate,' I suggest you make that a priority.

Late night, midnight on the interstate, and I didn't feel so great, until I saw the city.

More and more I hesitate, 'cause I don't know.

Mostly sober, sometimes I change my mind. And I don't have the time, no, we never do. 

When I hear that first part, I always imagine coming into Memphis from Madison, the way the skyline opens up, and how all the weight on my shoulders feels so much lighter, even if it's only for ten seconds. Sometimes I take that way home, (though it's longer), just to make myself smile on a rotten day.

But anyway, their cover of 'Where is My Mind' is actually fantastic as well. I basically listened to their Spotify page for 4 hours the other day. Each song was just as good as the next, and I couldn't make myself turn it to something else.

Come into the world alone, and you go out of the world alone. But in between, it's you and me. 

And the song that started it all for me:

And your heart rolls on like a frozen freight train. You know that I'll help you if I can. But I'm just a raindrop in a river, just a little itty-bitty grain of sand.

So, to recap, this is not new music, but it's still worth a listen if you've been as in the dark about each, as I have. Don't let any more time pass without this music in your life! The bottom line is that both Passenger and Trampled by Turtles have the same underlying theme:

Love and love and nothing else, It's all I need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment