Monday, June 10, 2013

it rained so hard it felt like snow

What. A. Weekend.

Thursday, I left the safe feeling of Memphis and jetted to DC to meet up with someone I'd not actually ever met. We boarded a bus, (after a Stella, of course), and chatted our way to Philly. To hang out with people I didn't know.

And it was fantastic. I saw the Liberty Bell, (sort of), had a delicious lunch, and drank some tasty brews. Also on the agenda: karaoke and Fireball, (but really, guys, when is it not?). I survived West Philly. It was so Fresh Prince of me.

Then it was another bus ride to NYC, (while nursing a Memphis-worthy hangover) to drop off our stuff at someone else's place. Someone else that I didn't know.

DAY 1: After a metro ride, botched bus ride, and a cab ride, we made it to Randall's Island, (before it became a swamp). On the agenda: Bear Mountain, St. Lucia, Dinosaur Jr., Best Coast, Of Monsters and Men, and Young the Giant. It rained all day, and towards the end of Young the Giant, the bottom started to drop out, and KOL and Pretty Lights had to cancel their shows. Bit of a bummer, but we made the most of it, and though we were disgusting by the end of the night, it was a great time. Plus Kenny and I won at Cranium once we got back to his friends' place, which is always something worth mentioning.

DAY 2: Brunch at Southern Hospitality featuring bottomless mimosas, (within 2 hours). To say we started the day off right is an understatement. Got to the festival, (via the correct bus), went to the silent disco, then caught Alt-J, (hello LOVE), Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, (actual bliss), found the only thing we were split on, (he wanted to see Kendrick; I wanted to see Kings of Leon--neither of us regret our decisions), and closed out the evening with Guns N' Roses. Axl Rose's face, on a scale of Shirley Temple to Courtney Love, was a Voldemort, but he sounded good. I wasn't crazy about the songs from Chinese Democracy, but hearing Sweet Child of Mine live made every one of those miserable seconds worth it. I only wish my dad could have been there to hear it with me; (it's our song, duh).

DAY 3: Walked to the festival this time, (a different way every day!). The weather was beautiful, much hotter than before, but I wasn't covered in mud from head to toe. We went to see The Revivalists, then Cherub, after which I forced Kenny to listen to Haim, (which is pronounced the dumbest way ever). Next we got up close to see Portugal. The Man, (phenomenal, by the way). Then it was Gary Clark Jr., who was just as impressive the second time, and his show set us up for an A+ spot for The Lumineers, (I can't even put into words how much I love hearing them play). Skipped the XX, but I danced across the field of mud to Bloc Party while on our way to grab a decent place for Kanye West. Roll your eyes all you want, but he put on one hell of a show. His new stuff is just stellar.

I was so sweaty. And sunburnt. And exhausted. But every bit of it was worth it, which I still agree with having worked all day after leaving for Memphis at 4:00 this morning. SO WORTH IT.

Top 5 performances (in no order): The Lumineers, KOL, Kanye (he debuted his new song "I Am A God") , Portugal. The Man, and Edward Sharpe. Runners up: Gary Clark Jr. and Young the Giant.

So, after this amazing weekend, I've come to some conclusions:

1) Kenny may be the best festival buddy on the planet.
2) I love to travel alone.
3) I'm not going to have any problems making a life in a new city.
4) I need to learn to pack lighter.

So, music, once again, got me out of my comfort zone, and opened up my eyes to all the good things that have yet to come. It's the most magical of all things. It's my favorite thing.

Ahhh, it's the magical mystery kind. Ahhh, must be a lie. Bye bye to the too good to be true kind of love.  Ohhh- I could die, oh, now I can die.

No comments:

Post a Comment