Friday, September 20, 2013

but i can't wait

So, I had a completely different post planned for tonight. It was boring and mostly meaningless, just a post for the sake of saying I posted. Which is the worst kind of post, by the way. I hadn't really been inspired lately, and sequentially I wasn't impressed with the message I was posting forever to the internet.

But then I went to the Levitt Shell to catch my favorite local band (and actually climbing quickly up my list of favorite bands in general), Star & Micey. This was my third time seeing them, and I promise you they get better and better with every show. They're energetic, sincere, silly, and so incredibly talented. They are all the things that I love about Memphis.

I had the opportunity to introduce three people to them tonight, and they were not let down. In fact, they were very impressed (as they should have been). We then discussed how we really thought/hoped they would make it big. The country, nay, the world should get to experience the sheer delight we were privy to this evening.

While I was sitting there, warm breeze blowing, looking around at all the people thoroughly captivated by the show happening in front of them, there was only one thing I could think of--that stupid guy from LA that bashed my city during playoffs.

I know, what a waste of time, thinking about that hateful man with zero insight to anything about Memphis. But my thoughts weren't sad or angry; they were smug. I imagined he was sitting at home, or stuck in traffic, unvaccinated, aging from the very negativity that runs in his veins, and we were all coming together as a community, supporting our city, enjoying music made right here at home. And then a feeling of pride and warmth spread over me, the smugness melted away and I pushed that idiot out of my mind. He doesn't know a damn thing.

The band covered I Won't Back Down, (my favorite, by the way), and it seemed only appropriate for this city I love so much. People have always counted Memphis out, writing negative stories and not giving her a real chance. But we are a resilient bunch. We don't let it get to us. We know all the good things Memphis has to offer, and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

And I'll keep this world from dragging me down, gonna stand my ground, and I won't back down.

So to wrap up, go see Star & Micey the next chance you get. I promise you won't be disappointed. They're truly one of the most talented bands I've ever seen, (those harmonies--swoon). They have the powerful presence during shows that fuels my love of the Avett Brothers, and they are a shining example of why I am so proud to call Memphis my home.

I will be seeing them in Jackson, MS next Saturday, and I encourage you to join me. And if you do happen to catch their show, try not to fall in love with them. I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment