Wednesday, May 16, 2012

and the songbirds are singing

FLEETWOOD MAC.

So, not really what I would consider quintessential beach music, (read: Jack Johnson, Matchbox 20), but when Adam suggested we listen to them on the way down, it just kind of stuck. Also, the book I am reading had a quip about them as well, so I thought I'd take a chance on fate. Really, though, how can you NOT like Fleetwood Mac? Their music is all about breaking up and getting together, mostly within the band members themselves.

Last fall I purchased the Very Best of Fleetwood Mac, and it was likely the most rewarding purchase of its kind in the past the six months; even my parents asked for a copy.

Here are some of my favorites:

Songbird: And I wish you all the love in the world, but most of all, I wish it from myself


Little Lies: Although I'm not making plans, I hope that you understand there's a reason why. Close your, close your, close your eyes. No more broken hearts, we're better off apart. Let's give it a try. (Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies).


Dreams: Thunder only happens when it's raining. Players only love you when they're playing. Say, women, they will come and they will go. When the rain washes you clean, you'll know.

What Makes You Think You're the One?: What makes you think I'm the one who will love you forever? Everything you do has been done and this won't last forever. Every little bit is there to see, every little bit of you and me.

Say You Love Me: I'm begging you for a little sympathy, because if you use me again, it'll be the end of me.

Gold Dust Woman: Did she make you cry, make you break down, shatter your illusions of love? Is it over now? Do you know how? Pick up the pieces and go home.


As anyone who appreciates the phenomenal ensemble that is Fleetwood Mac knows, they have so many songs to love, and this is only a small representation of their handiwork, (read: Go Your Own Way, Monday Morning, Landslide). 

I realize this post has no other point other than giving me an outlet to share my love for a band that was dominating the airwaves before I was even born, but it needed to be done. So, now I'm leaving you with lyrics from my absolute favorite song by Fleetwood Mac:

And if you don't love me now, you will never love me again. I can still hear you saying you will never break the chain.



Back to the beach, kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment