Saturday, May 26, 2012

thank you for the venom

Now, I know that I can't make you stay, but where's your heart
And I know there's nothing I can say, to change that part...to change that part, to change


Oh, My Chemical Romance, you make my days better. Their set at BSMF '07 still remains in my top 5 favorite shows. (The other four, in no particular order, are: Aerosmith at the Pyramid, Avett this April in Tupelo, Justin Timberlake at the Forum, and Jack's Mannequin/Lady Danville last summer at the New Daisy).

A life that's so demanding, I get so weak. A love that's so demanding, I can't speak. 


I remember seeing the video, I'm Not Okay (I Promise) on Fuse or something, and almost immediately buying Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge in tenth grade. I listened to it with my brother on my way to school pretty much every morning. I was obsessed with To the End for a really long time. I also loved the video for Helena, which was when Mikey Way earned his place in my heart, but my ultimate favorite from that album has to be Thank You for the Venom.

I am not afraid to keep on living. I am not afraid to walk this world alone. Honey, if you stay, I'll be forgiven. Nothing you could stay can stop me going home. 


Then The Black Parade came out, and my respect for them sky-rocketed. That album (concept/rock opera, if you will) is damn near perfect. I can't think of a single song on that album I don't like, and more than that, I can't really pick a favorite. I have such fantastic memories of blasting the album while riding around Oxford freshman year of college. It's definitely one of my favorites.


  • The End: So throw on the black dress, mix in with the lot. You might wake up and notice you're someone you're not.
  • Dead!: Have you heard the news that you're dead? No one ever had much nice to say. I think they never liked you anyway
  • This is How I Disappear
  • The Sharpest Lives*: Juliet loves the beat and the lust it commands. Drop the dagger and lather the blood on your hands, Romeo
  • Welcome to the Black Parade: Your memory will carry on, we'll carry on, and in my heart I can't contain it. The anthem won't explain it.
  • I Don't Love You
  • House of Wolves*
  • Cancer: And bury me in all my favorite colors, my sisters and my brothers. Still, I will not kiss you, 'cause the hardest part of this is leaving you.
  • Mama*: Mama, we're all gonna die. Stop asking me questions; I'd hate to see you cry. Mama, we're all gonna die.
  • Sleep: Don't you breathe for me, undeserving of your sympathy, 'cause there ain't no way that I'm sorry for what I did.
  • Teenagers
  • Disenchanted*: When the lights all went out, we watched our lives on the screen. I hate the ending myself, but it started with an alright scene
  • Famous Last Words*
  • Blood
  • Heaven Help Us*

Can't you see my eyes are shining bright, cause I'm out here on the other side?

The reason that this particular show was so phenomenal was not only due to the band, but also to mother nature. There had been tornado warnings and bad weather all day, and I was so worried they wouldn't play. The weather, thankfully, cleared up enough to allow them stage time, but during Famous Last Words, a lightning show started. It went perfectly with the music. I had chills all down my body, and I even have them now just thinking about that night. It also didn't hurt that my best friend, Nikki, toughed it out with me and we got to see them together.

Is it hard understanding, I'm incomplete? A love that's so demanding, I get weak

These bright lights have always blinded me

This is the part during the song when it started pouring and a full on storm raged. It was also perfectly timed with the music. This is one of those times I wish I had a Pensieve so that I could continually visit that memory without having the details fade with time. 

I see you lying next to me, with words I thought I'd never speak, awake and unafraid, asleep or dead.

I promise you, it felt like electricity running through my veins. I've never felt so alive before in my entire life, and no other experience has even come close to that night. And whenever I hear this song, I go back to that night, that feeling, though it's not quite as strong. I think it may be my anthem. I know that it moves me. It's my New York Groove. I love this song more than I love myself. 

I am not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid to walk this world alone



No comments:

Post a Comment