Friday, September 7, 2012

fight off your demons

Sometimes I really love a long drive. Sometimes I don't, but sometimes I do. I had to drive to Jackson, TN to work this week, so to get me through the boring trip on 40-E, I put on my comfort music: Brand New.

Brand New is my absolute favorite band to listen to in the car. For short trips, I just throw my iPod on shuffle, not really caring which song out of my impeccable musical library may come on next, but for the longer trips, I rely on Jesse Lacey's genius to get me where I'm going. 

So, the time has come, then, for a post dedicated to one of my top three favorite bands. 

Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades
The tickle, the taste of..it used to be the reason I breathed, but now it's choking me up, (die young and save yourself). 

This was the first Brand New song I ever heard. I saw the video on Fuse one afternoon and from the one song, thought, "Hey, that's a band that I could get in to." And get in to, I did. I quickly obtained Your Favorite Weapon and Deja Entendu, and they have remained one of my favorite bands since. 

Luca 
No one can save you now, unless you have friends among fish. There'll still be no air to breathe. You could drink up the entire ocean; I'll still find someone to be everything we know that you'll never be.

This song is from The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me, which was recorded (at least partially), in Oxford, MS. I distinctly remember my friend Elizabeth handing me this CD in Honors Chemistry my freshman year of college. I was instantly hooked. I had almost forgotten about this amazing band, but Elizabeth saved me.

They were getting better with time.

Play Crack the Sky
What they call love is a risk, 'cause you will always get hit out of nowhere by some wave and end up on your own.

Okay, so they're not the most uplifting band, but I don't mind.

I know that this is what you want; a funeral will keep both of us apart. You know that you are not alone; need you like water in my lungs.

I just love that last line. After an oddly themed google image search, it would appear that is the most tattooed Brand New lyric to date. It wouldn't be my first choice, but to each his own.

Soco Amaretto Lime
Off their first album, Your Favorite Weapon, I rocked out to this many nights after getting off at Old Navy. It takes me back to the smell of my old Accord and the thrill of that first summer/fall of having a car, cheerleading practices and trying to get over those first loves, (still working on that one).

You're spending all your nights growing old in your bed and it's all been said. And you're tearin' up your photos 'cause you want to forget...it's over. We're the coolest kids and we take what we can get. 

You're just jealous because we're young and in love.

At the Bottom
And there's a lake, and at the bottom you'll find all my friends. They don't swim because they're all dead. We never are what we intend or invent

When my brother and I went to Paris in 2010, we went to the Catacombs, (which is by far the coolest thing we did there). Many stories beneath the one of the greatest cities in the world, the bones of so many strangers are stacked ever so neatly, skulls facing out. When I walked in to that first damp, poorly lit dungeon of a room, At the Bottom immediately started playing in my head, and now consequently, this image pops into my head whenever I hear it.



Now I associate it with the idea that nothing is permanent, that everything has an ending, and that life goes on regardless of change, sadness, death, and destruction. That and the smell of crepes. 

So, that's Brand New 101. I hope you love them as much as I do. 

Some men die under the mountain just looking for gold. Some die looking for a hand to hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment