Thursday, April 26, 2012

andrew mcmahon is a friend of mine

But who am I to argue fate, and who are you to walk away? I'm standing here with nothing left to prove

I live in a fantasy world where Oreos are nutritious, new Harry Potter books come out every year, and every guy is some version of Andrew McMahon. Whether you know him from Something Corporate or from Jack's Mannequin, it matters not. To me, the way and what he sings about women and relationships is both genuine and heartfelt. It makes my knees weak.

Where are you now? As I'm swimming through the stereo, I'm writing you a symphony of sound. Where are you now? As I rearrange the songs again, this mix could burn a hole in anyone, but it was you I was thinking of.


Yes, please. What mold were you made from Mr. McMahon, and are there others? Do you know where I could find one?

Slow down...this night's a perfect shade of dark blue, dark blue. Have you ever been alone in a crowded room? When I'm here with you, I said the world could be burning down...


Even when's he breaking up with someone, it's graceful.

Hours pass, and she still counts the minutes that I am not there. I swear I didn't mean for it to feel like this, like every inch of me is bruised.


What's even more amazing, is that when you see him live, his energy is out of this world. I've seen Jack's Mannequin three times, (which seems to be a trend for me--threes), and with every show, my respect for him as an artist, (and person), grows. He is a cancer survivor, so while in Memphis, he visited St. Jude before the show, and then dedicated Swim to the patients there. I was covered in goosebumps.

You've got to swim. Don't let yourself sink. Just find the horizon; I promise you it's not as far as you think. 






I actually got to meet him, get an autograph, and chat with him after the show. He's so unbelievably nice; he met with fans for what seemed like hours. This makes me believe in his lyrics even more than I already did.



I am only going to give you one more lyric, though I have so many I want to share. I haven't even posted anything from Something Corporate, but you should check out them and Jack's Mannequin as well, if you're not already familiar. You need to become familiar.

As long as your heart's beating, it should never beat alone. No man is an island when a woman is his home.


He really should teach a class or something. It gives me hope that there are guys out there that can love a girl this way.






Other songs to check out: Hammers and Strings (A Lullaby), Konstantine, Only Ashes, The Resolution, MFEO PT. 1 and 2, Holiday from Real, Caves.

2 comments:

  1. That last lyric gave me goosebumps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should definitely check out the song. it's so beautiful! (No Man is an Island)

    ReplyDelete