Tuesday, April 17, 2012

a little death makes life more meaningful

"If I knew I was going to die at a specific moment in the future, it would be nice to be able to control what song I was listening to; this is why I always bring my iPod on airplanes." -Chuck Klosterman

I'm currently reading Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story by this man, and this quote obviously stuck out to me. This is brilliant and also true. I'm always making soundtracks for my day/weekend/lifetime, and it prompted me to think about death. What song WOULD I want playing when I die? Well, this of course depends on so many things, but I ultimately decided on one. I also decided on a soundtrack, in general, for my life*, (this latter idea was stolen from a Facebook note from many years ago).

Opening credits: Itchin' on a Photograph--Grouplove
Waking up: Highly Evolved--The Vines
Average day: Lisztomania--Phoenix
First date: Remember to Breathe--Dashboard Confessional
Falling in love: Wake Up--Coheed and Cambria
Love scene: Flux and Flow--Lights
Fight scene: Bury Your Head--Saosin
Breaking up: Cut--Jimmy Eat World
Getting back together: Laundry Room--Avett Brothers
Secret love: You--The Pretty Reckless
Life's okay: Holiday From Real--Jack's Mannequin
Mental breakdown: Cute Without the 'E'-Cut from the Team--Taking Back Sunday
Driving: When the Lights Go Out--Black Keys
Learning a lesson: I Can Feel a Hot One--Manchester Orchestra
Deep thought: Lost!--Coldplay
Flashback: More than a Feeling--Boston
Partying: Infinity Guitars--Sleigh Bells
Happy dance: Gamma Ray--Beck
Regretting: Left and Leaving--The Weakerthans
Long night alone: Haunting--Anberlin
Death scene: You Won't Know--Brand New
Closing credit: MMMBop--Hanson

So, back to the original reason for posting: the song to be played while I die--this is one my favorite Brand New songs. It's a bit sad, but most of the time dying is. Best lyric:
And I can't use the telephone, to tell you that I'm dead and gone...
so you won't know, (i'm gone, i'm gone), no you won't know.

What would your soundtrack sound like?

*All songs are subject to change hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly.

2 comments: