Monday, April 30, 2012

the minor fall and the major lift

Okay, it's time to talk about my favorite song. I used to have a hard time with this because, seriously, how can you choose? I change my mind daily about how much I like certain songs, (this often correlates with my mood/current happenings in my life). It's really like asking most parents, (not mine), which child is their favorite.

I'm not a good parent. I do have a favorite: Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah.

She tied you to her kitchen chair, and she broke your throne, and she cut your hair. And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah.

I really actually enjoy all versions of this song. I particularly love the Justin Timberlake edition from the Hope for Haiti soundtrack. Also, Imogen Heap's take, albeit a bit creepy, is also enjoyable.

Love is not a victory march; it's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah.


I know it's a bit of a downer in terms of the lyrics, but that's why I love it so much; it's real. I get chills from many a song, but there are very few that every time I hear it I feel it with my entire being. This song is the gold standard for that. The next songs that even come close are I Can Feel a Hot One by Manchester Orchestra, followed by I and Love and You by the Avett Brothers. Hmmm, all slow songs with slightly depressing undertones. Maybe I'm just addicted to sadness, (you were right, Gotye).

Well, there was a time when you let me know what's really going on below. But now you never show that to me, do you? And remember when I moved in you? And the holy dove was moving too? And every breath we drew was Hallelujah.

I really want to shake Leonard Cohen's hand for this song.

Have you ever listened to Paramore's live version of their song, Hallelujah? Haley does a bit from this song, and it's quite fantastic. Also, I listen to Fallout Boy's Hum Hallelujah just to hear their take on it. Maybe it's overdone and overused, but like with Adele, I don't care. To me, good music is good music, no matter how many times you hear it.

Well maybe there's a god above, but all I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who  outdrew you. And it's not a cry that you hear at night. It's not somebody who's seen the light; it's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah. 

Hallelujah.

No comments:

Post a Comment