Thursday, April 19, 2012

blunderbuss

I love the White Stripes (If I could blast Blue Orchid every time I walk into a room, I would, I so would), but I also love Jack White as a separate entity (The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather, anyone?). Naturally, then, when I heard about his solo album, Blunderbuss, I did a very unattractive happy dance. The album is streaming from iTunes for free at the moment; (it's release date is April 24th). It's fantastic, freaking fantastic. 

Love Interruption: This was the first single, released back in January, and I instantly loved it. To me, it's really an FU to love, which I'm down with. 

Yeah, I won't let love disrupt, corrupt, or interrupt me anymore

Sixteen Saltines: This one was released back in March, and I guess I'd call it one of the "heavier" songs on the album. I didn't love it at first, but now it's one of my favorites on the album.

Who's jealous, who's jealous, who's jealous, who's jealous of who? If I get busy, then I couldn't care less what you do, but when I'm by myself I think of nothing else, than if a boy just might be getting through and touching you.

The album is decidedly not White Stripes, but it works, and fills the hole in my heart left by them breaking up last year. Nostalgia is a word that comes to mind when listening, and I can't get enough of it. Some songs even remind me of the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss collaboration album. You really should go do your ears a favor, and hit up iTunes. I can't believe I missed him when he was in Memphis, (and not for lack of trying--it sold out in minutes), but I would venture to guess his music career is far from over, so there's to the hope of another opportunity.


Other songs I'm really loving: On and On and On, Freedom at 21, and Hypocritical Kiss.*


*But really, all of the songs are great, so me addressing five of them is really a moot point.


No comments:

Post a Comment