Monday, April 16, 2012

stop your parents' car

I spent Saturday night not only with one very lovely lady, but also with one of the most incredibly talented, bone chilling, (not to mention deliciously good-looking) bands out there. If the Avett Brothers did not just come to mind, then you're not doing it right.

As mentioned before, my posts are (for the most part) going to be dedicated to my favorite lyrics by some of my favorite bands, and how those lyrics affect/apply to me. Well the boys are just so profound, that I am going to limit myself to ten, and try to stick to the ones I've seen live. Their music moves me, and somehow encourages me to be a more simple, more loving, and overall better person. And isn't that what life and love are about in the first place?

10. Murder in the City--Always remember, there was nothing worth sharing, like the love that let us share our name.
This song is about family, and the incredible love between a family. I don't think much more explanation is needed.

9. When I Drink--Maybe I don't have to be good but I can try to be at least a little better than I've been so far


8. The Ballad of Love and Hate--I'm yours and that's it, whatever...you're mine and that's it, forever
     This whole song tells a story, good and bad/dark and light/love 
           and hate. In the end, love wins. As it should. As it will.

7. November Blue--My heart is dancin', to a November tune, and I hope that you hear it, singing songs about you
As a member of the human race with too many feelings and emotions, I am constantly channeling these through songs. Almost every song I sing out loud is to or about someone in my life. This song actually applies to a handful of people in my life and my mood dictates which one.

6. Love Like the Movies--Now in the movies they make it look so perfect, and in the background they're always playing the right song. And in the ending there's always a resolution. but real life is more than just two hours long
I have to remind myself from time to time that movie love isn't real love at all.

5. January Wedding--And I was sick with heartache, and she was sick like Audrey Hepburn when I met her. But we would both surrender. True love is not the kind of thing you should turn down: don't ever turn it down
DON'T EVER TURN IT DOWN

4. Pretty Girl at the Airport--And you don't have to tell me that you love me. For all the words I've never understood, I know, I know
Just because we aren't together and just because we can't say it out loud, I know you do, and you know I do. Always.

3. Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise--And if you're loved by someone, you're never rejected. Decide what to be and go be it.
Some of the simplest and most powerful lyrics I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. I want this tattooed on my body. I want it painted on my walls. I want it on my tombstone. I want to tell everyone I meet these seventeen words. I want these words to spark the same hope in someone else that they continually spark in me. People need to know these words. 

2. I and Love and You--Three words that became hard to say: I and love and you. What you were then, I am today. Look at the things I do.
This entire song moves me. Seeing it live, is like the first breath of fresh air after being underwater for 2 minutes. It's the most beautiful thing I think I've ever witnessed, (and I have witnessed it thrice). Love is always there, but not always at the right time. A lesson I struggle with daily.

1. Laundry Room--Last night I dreamt the whole night long, and woke with a head full of songs. I spent the whole day; I wrote them down, but it's a shame. Tonight I'll burn the lyrics, 'cause every chorus was your name.
I can't tell you how many choruses (of others' music) I've wanted to throw away because every word is someone's name (figuratively, of course). How many songs will I have to attach to them? I hope not many more...This is my absolute favorite Avett song. And this past Saturday, Amy and I heard it live. It was like they sang it just for us.


TLDR: I love the Avett Brothers, and you should too. You don't know what you've been missing.


1 comment: